Pages Navigation Menu


Homeowners Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I required to have homeowners insurance on my home?

A: Legally, no. However, if you have a mortgage on your home, chances are your lender will require it to protect your home from any damage or unforeseen circumstances. Once your mortgage is paid off, you wouldn’t be required to keep home insurance, but it is highly recommended to protect what you already have invested in your home.

Q: Is it necessary to have a home inventory on file?

A: If you ever have to make a claim on your home, having a home inventory on file will help speed the process along. It makes verifying your property easier for the insurance company and helps you remember all the items you had should a fire or other natural disaster destroy most of your possessions. It is also helpful come tax return time as you can easily determine any losses you had.

Q: How do I complete a home inventory?

A: Creating a home inventory is a time-consuming process, but it is well worth the time. To get you started, here are a few helpful tips we share with our policyholders. 1) Make a list of all your possessions, including when and where they were purchased and include any sales receipts should you have them. This is especially true for big-ticket items like artwork, jewelry, and collectibles, but don’t forget the smaller items as well as those dollars add up quickly. 2) Videotape your home and describe the contents while you walk through your house. You can follow this up with pictures or additional video on important individual items. 3) Once you have your inventory complete, save it on your computer and store a back-up disk or drive in a safe deposit box.

Q: Does my homeowners insurance policy still cover my children and their property while they are living away from home at college?

A: As long as the children are still considered dependents of your household, are under the age of 24, and are enrolled as full-time students, your Pekin Insurance homeowners insurance policy will extend 10% of the personal property amount and liability coverages to wherever the student is living. This limit applies regardless of whether the student is in a dormitory or an apartment.

Q: Do I need to do anything special to insure my computer?

A: Your computer is automatically covered as part of your personal property subject to the deductible of your homeowners insurance policy. Another option is to specifically add your computer to your homeowners insurance policy. This will provide all risk coverages, such as breakage, as well as different deductible options that are lower than your homeowners insurance policy deductible.

Q: Am I covered for flood?

A: Pekin Insurance is not licensed to write flood insurance coverage. This coverage is only provided by government programs and may be obtained through your local agent. However, we do offer water back-up of sewers and drains coverage in case water comes through a drain and/or sewer pipe. This type of coverage can be added to your current homeowners insurance policy with any of our Homeowners Deluxe package endorsements or as a stand-alone endorsement. Please contact your local Pekin Insurance agent for more details.

Q: What if I hit a car with a golf ball?

A: If you have a homeowners insurance policy with Pekin Insurance, you automatically have personal liability coverage. This coverage applies should you cause bodily injury to another golfer or damage someone’s property with an errant shot.

Q: What does my credit history have to do with my insurance rate?

A: Insurance companies use financial history along with other factors (such as years of driving experience or claims history) to properly classify an insured according to his/her potential risk. Studies have shown a correlation between a consumer’s financial history and his/her future insurance loss potential. Thus, insurance companies believe the use of credit helps to underwrite an applicant at a cost that reflects their specific risk.

Q: Is there a way I can obtain a copy of my credit report?

A: A free credit report is available to US residents from each of the three main consumer reporting agencies. Order yours at

Call Toll-Free 1-800-322-0160