What is nurse on call?
Nurse On Call offers injured employees access to an occupational nurse who is available 24/7. Without making an onsite visit, the nurse assesses non-life threatening injuries and determines if treatment requires self-care, an appointment with telehealth,* a visit to an onsite clinic, or a trip to the emergency room.
With Nurse On Call and telehealth, your injured worker receives timely and professional care. Your program should also see a reduction in incurred costs, increased PPO and pharmacy network use, decreased litigation, and fewer visits to the emergency room.
Pekin Insurance partners with CorVel for the Nurse On Call program, which allows the nurse to use the preferred provider network, if needed. Please call 911 and seek medical attention for serious or life-threatening injuries.
Benefits of nurse on call
- Facilitates early intervention with a nurse specialized in occupational care.
- Assesses the injury immediately for the right level of care and cost.
- Reduces the number of claims and unnecessary physician visits.
- Reduces lag time with quick and efficient reporting.
- Helps employees return to work quicker.
- Allows access to the preferred provider network.
- Provides access to translators in multiple languages.
- Records all calls.
How to use nurse on call
- The employee contacts the supervisor to report an injury.
- The supervisor and injured employee call Nurse On Call at 833-746-8308.
- If the nurse does not refer the employee for medical treatment, the nurse gives self-care instructions and follows up with the employee the next day.
- If the employee later determines medical treatment is needed, the employee can call the nurse for reassessment.
- The nurse will identify a preferred provider.
- The employee needs to inform the provider they are covered by Pekin Insurance.
- A copy of the nurse triage report is forwarded to the policyholder and Pekin Insurance.
- If treatment is sought, a claim is generated and a claim specialist will contact the employer and injured worker.
*Telehealth provides injured employees with immediate access to a physician via iOS/Android phone, tablet, or a computer with video. This is ideal for sprains, strains, and other non-emergency, medical-only injuries. Telehealth saves time by eliminating the need to schedule and travel to appointments.