Vehicle Emergency Kits Are a Necessity in Winter Driving
With the recent storms, we should be reminded to have winter emergency kits for our vehicles. Below are a few ideas and tips for making and storing an emergency kit for your vehicle.
Suggested Emergency Kit Items
Plastic storage bin with lid that would be small enough to fit in your trunk
First aid kit with multi-use tool
Flashlight with extra batteries
Road salt or kitty litter for traction
Emergency flares, whistle, and fluorescent emergency flag
Small candle with waterproof matches
Cell phone adapter for the car
Snack foods such as energy bars, raisins, trail mix, or small candy bars
A 3-day supply of your daily prescribed medication
Extra socks, hats, and gloves, as well as a good supply of packaged hand warmers
A blanket or sleeping bag
- In case your trunk should freeze closed, remember to put a small sack of absolute necessities in your glove compartment.
- Call 911 and stay on the phone with them until you speak with someone and they give you specific instructions. Make sure before hanging up with the 911 operator you are clear with what they want you to do.
- Make sure to give the specific landmarks or road numbers of where you can be found. Use the fluorescent flag to tie onto your vehicle, so that you will be easier to find.
- Stay in your vehicle. With temperatures dropping dramatically, you should not leave your vehicle’s shelter. The recent temperatures can easily cause life-threatening illness, including hypothermia.
- If you are going on a long trip, make sure someone knows the route that you are taking and when to expect your arrival. Follow up with the same people once you arrive.
Finally, this is survival time! You are in survival mode, and that should be your mindset. Keep yourself as comfortable as possible, but realize comfort is not the necessity but surviving is.
Here is a website that can give you further tips:
Here is an online checklist that will also help with what you need in your kit:
Pekin Insurance® wants all of their insureds to remain safe during the winter months. Prepare for the unexpected with a Vehicle Emergency Kit.
Adjuster – Mt. Vernon Service Office