Attention Illinois Storm Victims
Pekin Insurance is responding to the needs of its policyholders and the requests of the Illinois Department of Insurance in the administration of insurance policies, including all lines, resulting from a recent weather-related storm disaster that impacted 15 counties. Effective immediately, the following actions are applicable for all lines to policyholders who reside in or own property located in or around Champaign, Douglas, Fayette, Grundy, Jasper, La Salle, Massac, Pope, Tazewell, Vermillion, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, Will, and Woodford Counties.
- Moratorium on cancellations and non-renewals. For any cancellation or non-renewal notice issued on or after November 10, 2013, on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder or respecting affected property, Pekin Insurance will withdraw the cancellation or non-renewal and reinstate the policy with no lapse in coverage. In addition, Pekin Insurance will not issue any new cancellation or non-renewal notices to affected policyholders or for affected property until January 11, 2014.
- Other insurance-related time period extensions. Extensions will be granted to affected policyholders for all policy provisions that impose a time limit for an insured or claimant to perform any act, including submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bills, or payment of funds.
- Time period extension for repairs. If repair on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property, Pekin Insurance will provide consumers with an extension of not less than 60 days to make the repairs.
- Cancellation or non-renewal respecting affected property. Pekin Insurance will refrain from canceling or non-renewing policies respecting affected property due to “increase in the risk originally accepted” (215 ILCS 5/143.21 and 143.21.1) or due to the geographic location of the risk (215 ILCS 5/155.22).
- Other exceptions to policy/contract requirement or rating/underwriting rules. Pekin Insurance will consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements or other rating or underwriting rules not listed on this announcement when contractual requirements are not met as a result of this disaster. Exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules will include an insured’s displacement from his or her home.
- Availability of the Illinois Department of Insurance. The Illinois Department of Insurance is available for complaints regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers may call the DOI’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364 or file a complaint online at https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf.
It is our sincere goal to accommodate the needs of our policyholders that have been affected by these natural disasters. If you have questions, please feel free to contact your Pekin Insurance Agent or Contact Us through our website.