10 Ways to Cut Utility Costs During the Summer
When we think of summer, we think of vacations, sun, and outdoors. However, with all those good thoughts, we also get the skyrocketing energy bills. You are not totally helpless. There are several things that you can do to minimize your summer utility costs. Here are some things you can do to help cut the costs of high summer utility bills:
- Cook outside – The air conditioner will work overtime trying to counteract the heat from your stove and oven. Fire up the grill as much as possible.
- Close the blinds and drapes – Don’t underestimate the power of the sun. Sunlight hitting objects in your house produces radiant heat. Again, this makes more work for the air conditioner.
- Wear less – Try open-toed shoes, shorts, linen, and clothing that offers little insulation. This will allow you to keep the thermostat at a higher setting.
- Go outside – That’s right, you are a heat source. Exercising outside will keep the heat outside and the cool inside.
- Fix leaky ductwork – If you have an HVAC tech check your air conditioner each summer, have him check the ductwork, too. Don’t let the cool air escape.
- Turn the central fan on – At night, you can give the air conditioner a rest and just use the central fan. It will circulate the cool air, and you won’t miss the air conditioner.
- Turn off the ceiling fan – When you are not home, that is. Ceiling fans do not cool the home but make you feel cooler as air passes across your skin.
- Dust the refrigerator and freezer – Refrigeration units have coils usually found on the back of the unit. Dust build up on these coils makes the unit work harder.
- Use lower wattage bulbs – Putting a 30-watt bulb in place of a 60-watt bulb saves you half the electricity.
- Plant trees – This is a longer-term savings plan. In the summer, the shade from a tree will help block direct sunlight and keep your place cooler. Then in the winter, the missing leaves on the tree will let the sunlight through to help heat the dwelling.
Doing only a couple of these tips will help you save money. Not only that, but you will be more environmentally conscious with the electricity savings. Now summer can be about vacations, sun, and outdoors again without the increased utility costs!